Saturday, June 6, 2009

I can't believe it's almost over!!

The whole cast together at the last Mystery Dinner Theater.
Patrick and I at our last Summer Breeze Set.

I love these guys!! (Patrick & Tait)
The 4 singers just before our bows in the Tango Show.


Well guys, I can't believe it, but I'll be home in 4 days time!!!  Things have been crazy around here, but we've had a blast enjoying our last cruise as a cast. :)  


Let me just go back about a week...Last time we were in Norway, which would've been...around 10 days ago I guess?  Andy, boy 2 (singer), was rushed off the ship and to the emergency room.  He ended up having emergency surgery to have his appendix removed!!  They said that if this pain would've come to him while he was at sea and couldn't get to a hospital, his appendix would've most likely burst.  All I can say is, God was definitely looking out for him on that day!  So, we were without a boy 2 for about 4 days while he recovered in the hospital, and then he flew to Denmark to join the ship again the day of our Tango Show.  I can't believe it, but he actually performed that night after everything he'd been through!  He was more concerned about us getting through our shows without him than anything else.  Thankfully everything went great, and he's been able to perform in both Tango and West End with no problems.  So, for those that knew about this and were praying - THANK YOU!!! Our prayers were answered and he is 100% better now.  


Other than that little bit of drama, things have been wonderful for our last cruise.  The shows have been great so far, and even though it's been a little rainy this time around, the ports are still just as beautiful.  

The cruise director threw us a farewell party last night, which was SO much fun!  We reserved the Travelers Bar that's usually for officers only, so it was non-smoking (YES!) and had a huge sound system. Then it was just musicians, cruise staff and ourselves cutting up and dancing all night! I have to say I'm gonna really miss these guys when we leave.  I've gotten really close to some of them and we have an absolute blast when we're all together.  


So, now the fun part begins.  Beginning the packing process....YUCK...and figuring out what's next once I get home!  I got an offer to come back and do the Jewel again in November.  I'm not sure yet if I'll take it, but I'm considering it.  I just hate that it's so far away!  Honestly, I should probably just be thankful I've gotten anything at all. I talked to one of my friends in the office via email, and she said people that haven't worked for them in like 10 years are starting to call and try to get back in with the company because of the economy right now!  She also said that several people haven't gotten offers and won't get anything until the new year because there's absolutely nothing left.  It made me feel a little better about the situation because I was initially a little disappointed about not getting something different.  I obviously hoped for a new itinerary because seeing new places is 75% of the fun in this job!  There are good things about it too though...I would have a good shot at vocal captain since I already know the shows, the itinerary's the same so I wouldn't be inclined to spend a lot of money, and Tait (from my current cast) is going back as well so I'd have a great friend there with me.  Well, we'll see what happens. Right now, I'm just looking forward to seeing everyone back home!  


4 more days 'till family, friends, my car, my kind of food, MY ANIMALS.... :)  Can't WAIT!!!  See you soon!!

3 comments:

Mrs. Stricklin said...

Hi Kristian! TWO more days and you will be on AMERICAN SOIL - better yet, SOUTHERN SOIL!!! I am so glad that you have had a blast on this contract. I'm glad to know what happened to Andrew. God was definitely looking out for him. Having appendicitis is nothing to sneeze about. I'm glad he caught the danger signs when he did.

As far as your contract, where will you be going? I hope that you do take it because the economy is SO SLOW. Of course, if something big breaks, you would naturally take that, but let me tell you, sitting at home writing music and contacting producers on your own is going to be a tough go compared to what you have been doing. Its not nearly as exciting as travelling all over the world, singing in a show that has already been written for you with a steady paycheck coming in. The up side is that you will have a job waiting for you in November while you pursue your own music in the meantime-and- you won't have to miss football season this year, well, most of football season. I don't know when you will sign your contract, but if you get home and have a chance to think about it a couple of weeks, that would help. Don't leave the cruising industry until you are sick of it. It may not be that easy to get back in. Things stateside are TOUGH.

As for this summer, you will have a blast once you get back going around and seeing everybody. Plus, I am sure that you will do some gigs. I talked with Debra Talley at Miss Alabama about you coming home in a few days. I told her that you would probably like to join the Bama girls for a gig or two while you are home and she said "PLEASE tell Kristian to call me!" We MISS HER!!! Now, I don't know whether they pay you girls or not, or how much, but I know that they would love to have you join them. Naturally, it won't be the high-end show that you are accustomed to, but you'll have to go back to cruise ships for that or major theatre shows like Branson or Vegas or even Cirque du Soleil to get that high-end show stateside. You could even open for major artists who are touring, but that would entail going to Nashville and getting an agent, probably. AND, that would take a while to get your foot in the door.

Whatever you do, save all your photos and blogs for your children to see and read one day!!!!!! They will want to know all about Mama in her professional performing days!!! :)

A side note - I wish you could have seen Haley in Miss Alabama - she turned in a PERFECT performance for her last time around. I am so proud of her, just like I am of you! She has opted to end her pageant career 1 year before she ages out. She is burned out and this was her swan song. I am so glad she went out with a bang! Talent winner her night, just like you. They have a new award, Overall Talent winner, which she won. She made top ten, just like you and went on to become 4th Runnerup to Miss Alabama. She brings home $3900 in scholarships to finish at JSU and put back for graduate school if she pursues it. She'll do her student teaching in the Fall and is not looking forward to it. She wants to sing instead of teach. She plans to audition for Belle in JSU's Beauty and the Beast and if selected, will do the show after she graduates in December. After she graduates, she will begin the audition process - for vocal competitions, graduate school, Disney and also she is interested in Cruise Ships! She will need advice from you if she decides to do Cruise Ships. She and Tyler are at the beach this week and I'm hoping that he won't pop the question just yet. She isn't ready to plan a wedding. She is interested in talking with you about the Cruise Ship industry when you see her at Heather/Matt's wedding.

OK - that's it for now from me. This is the first day of my summer and I am working on catching up with my life. Hope to see you soon!

Love, Mrs. Stricklin

Mrs. Stricklin said...

By the way, do you think you can still remember how to drive a car? You have been at sea for most of one year now. Will it be difficult walking on land for you? Just curious...:) Oh, and Kristian - its summer in Alabama and Georgia! Its HOT!!! Be prepared for the oven when you get off the plane in Atlanta!!! There are no ocean breezes here, just humidity. Remember? ;)

WELCOME HOME!!!!!
Love, Mrs. Stricklin

Tait Moline said...

That cast of yours is BEAUTIFUL!!!! :D

I miss you already!!!!!!

ps. I'm in the Atlanta airport waiting to board my next plane. I'm avoiding Facebook because, once again, it's too overwhelming to even approach.